Fireblood (Frostblood Saga, #2) by Elly Blake // REVIEW //

January 19, 2018


// Goodreads //
// Buy on Amazon //

Genre: YA/Fantasy 

Rating: 5 stars

-------

Against all odds, Ruby has defeated the villainous Frost King and melted his throne of ice. But the bloodthirsty Minax that was trapped inside is now haunting her kingdom and everyone she loves. The answers to its demise may lie to the south in Sudesia, the land of the Firebloods, and a country that holds the secrets to Ruby’s powers and past…
 Despite warnings from her beloved Arcus, Ruby accompanies a roguish Fireblood named Kai to Sudesia, where she must master her control of fire in a series of trials to gain the trust of the suspicious Fire Queen. Only then can she hope to access the knowledge that could defeat the rampaging Minax—which grows closer every moment. But as sparks fly in her moments alone with Kai, Ruby no longer knows whom to trust. The fates of two kingdoms are now in her hands.

-------

Review:


Elly Blake did it again. She left me speechless with the second book of the Frostblood saga.

“Fire is hungry, but it’s also elegant.” He turned my hands over again, lifting the right one and brushing his lips to the back as if he were a gentleman meeting me for the first time. A shiver rippled across my shoulders. “Wild and precise. Dangerous but beautiful.”


Not only did the story become much more intriguing but she added a sexy pirate to it. And you know it’s a good book when you have an Ice-Cold King and a Sexy hot pirate put together, battling for the love of the protagonist. Usually I’m not that into love triangles. But this one is just excellent.

Fireblood is all about Ruby’s lineage, where she comes from and why she possesses powers that even untrained are far greater that anyone else’s.  All of this leads to a big ass secret in the end. Predictable, but still surprising. I loved it. It has so much action and scenes so vividly written where Ruby, Arcus and Kai bend their powers perfectly. It has intrigue and deceit, and a friend that turns into a foe at the end…. surprise, surprise...

I loved getting to know the Queen of Sudesia. Even though she was a major BIATCH at the beginning, she was an awesome queen and it was about time that we were introduced to her. I enjoyed immensely getting to know Sudesia as well, and seeing Ruby finding a place for herself and feeling like she belongs somewhere. She and the queen in the end became more than just allies and I really want to see more of their relationship in the next book.

Ruby and Arcus were at a standstill the entire book. They love each other but it feels like they’re afraid to let that show. And now with Arcus being king, Ruby doesn’t quite know where she fits in. I was afraid for them at the beginning. But gladly in the end they were okay. Not perfect, because there is still some tension there, but together at least. We do have some sexy scenes though. All kissing and flirting. Oh, how I love Arcus humor and Ruby’s sarcasm. They are perfect for each other. And the author gave plenty of humorous and sexy scenes with them two. So, let’s hope in the next book we have more sexy scenes and they finally get married and have their happily ever after.

But Arcus’s words reminded me that he wasn’t his court, that he would adapt when I needed him to, that he accepted me as I was, even if no one else did. It touched me more than I could say. I wished I could find the words to tell him, but lately that seemed impossible.

Feeling came easily. Putting those feelings into words was increasingly difficult.

Yes, I mentioned a love triangle…. But do I really think it’s going to threaten what Ruby and Arcus have? NOT A CHANCE! Kai is fun, sexy, sarcastic, strong, powerful, cocky and dresses super well, but it’s not happening. He was a great asset to Ruby though and he helped her a lot in overcoming her trials and teaching her about herself. Thank you Kai, but get the hell away from that couple.

He leaned his leg against the bed and gave a wolfish half smile. “Do you really think I’d have taken my little bird to the constable?” 

“I’m grateful to you, Kai. But I am neither yours nor a little bird.” 

“But you look like one. Lost and alone in your nest.” He picked up a few strands of my hair and let them fall, laughing as I narrowed my eyes at him. “And it’s so easy to ruffle your feathers.”


Fireblood just managed to set my tiny little heart on fire. Now let’s move on to Nightblood and hope it doesn’t play with my heart as well. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow NOVA

NOVA Pageviews