My Life in Black and White by Natasha Friend... I didn't cried, something just purposely went into my eye! O.o

August 27, 2013


This book had me thinking hard. It made the most simplest things that we take for granted look superficial, and if you really notice it it kind of has a point. I definitely loved this book more than expected, because the type of the book is not my thing and I've never read anything from this author. But I am glad that I took this risk, because it was so worth it.


My life in black and White may seem boring and way too dramatic at first, but you quickly change your mind. Because this book is a wake up call to pay attention to the IMPORTANT things around us and stop worrying about other shit, to stop obsessing about our bodies and labels and accept everyone as they are. It's an amazing read that is unique, sad and fantastic.
 But at the time, I honestly believed I had it all. Looks, friendship, true love. I honestly believed I led a charmed existence. And then, halfway through the summer, Taylor’s brother, Jarrod, had a party, and in a single night two things happened that would change the course of my life forever: My best friend betrayed me. And my face went through a windshield.
The story really had me from the first page. Because everything is constructed to feel all the emotions and stages of awareness and acceptance that the characters go trough. Natasha Friend really did write a fantastic book.  The story is fast paced and keeps you intrigued at all times, it makes you beg for more. All the characters have a story and although you hate them for their mistakes you can't help but forgive them for it anyway.


For someone without much of a patience it may be hard to understand Lexi at first, but if you give her a chance she will blow you mind. It's characters like this that are hard to be found, characters that are strong, loyal and true like Lexi. I admire her for all that she had to go trough and come out a better person in the end. Lexi is a character that is always evolving during the course of the action, in every chapter you see a new stage in her healing process and a new surprising attitude. She's exciting and inspiring to read about.

Taylor may seem like a bitch. And SHE IS. But she also redeem herself in the end. (ALTHOUGHT SHE'S STILL ON MY BAD SIDE. LIKE, FOREVER!) And in the start when you see her as this backstabbing best-friend it's hard to picture a day when you'll be loving her again, but the writer did it and managed to get Taylor on our good side again. There is a lot of jealousy and spite in Lexis's and Taylor's relationship from the start but it's lovely to see their friendship get stronger than never in the end.

Heidi was a tough case from the start, but I knew that with a bit of work she could be a surprising character and SHE WAS! EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS ALSO A BITCH IN THE START, she just needed a friend to help her trough her insecurities. Problems with our bodies is a stage that 90% of girls go trough in their life's, so it was great to see it approached in here with such care. The author managed to give an amazing advice to all the girls going trough that stage right now: Love your body, and don't let others put you down.  Go, Heidi.
She likes to act all tough and cynical, but really, underneath that crusty exterior, she’s as soft as they come 
I have a crush on Theo. What can I say, I changed to the nerdy side of boys!!!!!! That's how good Theo is!  I loved his character, and you can tell that without him this book wouldn't be the same. He gives so much support to all the characters, but at the same time he's also a wakeup call for a very important problem. Anorexia. His sister died because of it and he was an awesome reality check for many people.
with Theo it was nose bumping lip touching tongue twining heart thumping knee weakening body pressing kissing kissing kissing until the bell rang and he took a sudden step back, breathing hard. “Wow.”
Ryan. Even though you were nice in the start, bad throughout the whole book, and then good in the end again. Go Screw yourself pretty boy .

Summing it up, My life in Black and White is a thrilling journey about hope and redefining yourself at YOUR standards.  It's charming and full of emotions. P.S keep your box of tissues in hand.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow NOVA

NOVA Pageviews